Thursday, July 31, 2008

Heat, Humidity, and Work

While I have much to catch up on, things have been busy. Eventually I blog about out last few weeks (although most of it has been spent working). But, I needed to get in a quick rant. I think I am good for at least one per month. :)

The A/C is not functioning in our building at work. I walked in this morning and was hit by a wave of hot air. As I sat in my windowless office, the air got hotter and hotter throughout the day. I literally had to peel my clothes off when I got home. The really bad news is that the A/C won't be fixed until Monday because it needs a new motor. I have many questions surrounding this, like can the part be shipped overnight and installed sooner than over the weekend or why did they not replace the motor a long time ago as we seem to have A/C problems every summer? The list goes on, but my biggest issue is that working and actually concentrating on work is near unbearable with the heat. I am literally sitting in my own pool of sweat while trying to type and have conference calls. I had to apologize up and down to some people that came to my office to talk to me today. It is just so hot in there! IU does have an Adverse Working Conditions policy. I'm not sure how it works, how often it is used, or if it can be used in this case. I was really hoping that would kick into effect because I cannot function well in this kind of heat! However, no such luck. I can already tell tomorrow is going to be a long day...

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, how I remember the heat in the IU buildings in the summer! When I still worked, they rotated the AC to save energy. I, too, worked in a higher floor, windowless office. When I was pregnant, I finally convinced them that I couldn't work in the heat. Sorry you have to do it one more day... did they at least give you fans? I know they brought us some to use. I think it was just so we didn't use the Adverse Working conditions. Still, a fan only blows the hot air! Hopefully it is really fixed by Monday!

Anonymous said...

Yikes - hope your day was cooler today?