Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Signs of Spring

When you live and work on a college campus, there are always a few tell-tale signs of spring.
  • The college girls trade in their Ugg boots for flip flops and boat shoes. (I actually don't mind this. I am not a fan of the boots with the spandex look.)
  • The same girls can be seen sun tanning in their bikinis, even though it is only 55 out and not exactly bikini weather.
  • The fraternity boys begin hanging out on their front porches and pretty much spend all day there.
  • You can walk down the street and hear 20 different kinds of music blaring from the cars lined up at the stop sign with all the windows totally down, even though it is only 55 out.
  • Everyone (and I mean everyone) is out trying to run. I say that as nicely as possible. Everyone starts somewhere, but some of the running outfits I saw do not indicate a serious runner...at all. One guy was all decked out in a serious of matching sweatbands and struggled to go one block. It was pretty hilarious.
  • Now that there are more people out walking around, there are also more people not paying attention to where they are going. I've gotten run into twice by people texting and walking in the last two days. There was no sorry or excuse me involved, they just kept texting and walking - right in front of a moving vehicle.
  • Everyone is dusting off their bikes and getting ready for Little 500, at least here in Bloomington. I've overheard many conversations about riding in the last few days.

Spring is one of my favorite seasons. I can finally run in shorts, we can start thinking about our garden, and we actually see the neighbors again. But, the behaviors on campus crack me up - they change along with the seasons without fail. Totally predictable and always reason for a good laugh!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Totally know what you mean! Don't forget all the girls break out the short shorts and tank tops too. :) I *love* spring, and am so glad it's here! Let's hope it stays! :)

Anonymous said...

Good post! :)