Monday, October 8, 2007

There's Always Next Year

Yes, as painful as it is, I am a fully devoted, die-hard Cubs fan since birth and by choice. I wear my Zambrano jersey with pride and root on the Cubs whenever possible. This includes paying for upgraded Cable to get WGN in southern Indiana, watching all the games not televised on WGN at a local sports bar when our schedule allows, paying for mlb.com to catch the play-by-play from day games while at work, and several road trips to watch the Cubs in action. This year we saw them play a Wrigley three times and in Cincinnati once. But, the season ended in a three-game playoff series sweep by Arizona this past weekend. All I can say is that I am heart-broken. Not only does this signify the end of baseball for the year, but my Cubs are not going to the World Series. It is devastating! Sure, baseball will be on TV throughout October, but it won't include my Cubs. I guess this means I'll have to default to watching my AL team, the Indians and root for them. This also means that "There's always next year" will continue to be the common theme that unites Cubs fans worldwide. Next year will be the 100th anniversary of their last World Series Championship, which keeps my hopes high for the future (I'll just store my "It's Gonna Happen" sign until then)!

No comments: